Teamwork, Teamwork

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

“What’s gonna work?  Teamwork!”

–     Lyric from a song in the Wonderpets kids’ show

No, I don’t know if Wonderpets is still on, but it’s like the Disney movies that came out between 1999 – 2007.  I may not have seen them, but I heard them over and over again on the DVD player in our SUV, as we did early training on electronic screen fixation with our kids…

Where was I?

Oh, yeah, teamwork.

I saw it play out twice yesterday.

First, I spent 7 hours on a spreadsheet — a really important one that will help completely revamp a B2B Sales Coverage model.  It.  Was. A. Thing o’ Beauty!  I saved it every 4-5 minutes.  I showed it to three stakeholders, who were almost as giddy as was I.  I completed it about 40 minutes before I needed to head out to The Tallest of The Three’s basketball game.  I clicked “save” yet again.

And then…it was gone.  Dead.  Not there.  Had there been bourbon and sharp objects near my computer, both would have been in play.  And then, suddenly, teamwork broke out.  In a modest panic, (controlled, mature, extremely professional panic, of course…) I checked with the smart people; the tech-help team.  43 minutes later, 75% of the work was restored.  Instead of killing another day, I’ll chug through a couple hours – and we’re back on track.  The guys who were good at the thing they’re supposed to be good at got me back to being good at the thing I’m supposed to be good at.

So, off to the game we go.  Not just the game.  The game.  Against a rival that I have disliked deeply for 41 years.  (Holding a grudge is a very ugly thing, and I should be over it, but I’m not, so deal with it…)  The Tallest’s team is quite good.  Ranked #1 in the state, with two ginormous studly D1 prospects leading the way.  Except that last night, The Tallest stepped up.  3.  Another 3.  A traditional 2 & 1 three…  9 of our first 14 and 15 of our first 24.  Then, The Freshman stepped up.  Then The Sole Senior.  Only then did the two ginormous studs need to chip in, because the other team was clueless as to who was going to hit them next.  It ended well, our most complete team victory of our 11-straight to start the season.  The two ginormous studs had 25 and 19.  The Tallest of the Three had those 15.  The Freshman, 14.  Teamwork.  The competition knew what hit them, they just couldn’t do anything about it.

In both cases, and in most cases when teamwork works its’ best — everyone does what they do best in concert with the rest of the team, most of whom are, intentionally, good at other things.

What’s gonna work?  Teamwork.  In the gym.  In the Boardroom.  At the client.  With the vendor.

Excuse me now.  I have to do the 25% of the work remaining on top of the 75% that was saved from the ashes by my teammates.  By teamwork.

Make it a great day.


  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Speak Your Mind

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.